Cleaned the frame and hand polished the nickel plating. Most of it’s still in nice condition, just a few spots at the rear of the frame that are worn through.
The engine was already pretty clean and was serviced just before it was pulled from the MZ, so I just wiped it down with WD40 to brighten the black and remove dust.
Laid the engine on it’s side and set the frame down over it. Still ended up having to set it all upright and lifting the engine into position.
After clearancing the starter motor “pedestal” with a die grinder quite a bit, the engine bolts finally go in. No engine bolts or spacers came with the frame, so I guessed on the bolt lengths and machined the spacers on my lathe after measuring distances between engine and frame. Like the Prego commercial says: “it’s in there”. 🙂
I bought a cheap bike stand from Harbor Freight and my buddy Carl helped carry the engine/frame assembly into my office and set it on the stand. Started working on making more missing spacers – this time for mounting the brake caliper. First I had to remove the oil pressure sender that the MZ uses from the oil filter cover and plug that, then position the caliper bracket squarely on the engine and measure for the spacers. A few more minutes of lathe time and the mount goes on.
I loosely fitted the caliper and measured for those spacers – one has to be contoured to clear the caliper, the other has to have a flat side to clear the bolt securing the mount to the engine. Still easy to make and it wasn’t long before I’d whittled them out.
Next up was making the top engine mounts/headsteadies – these were missing also. Made a cardboard pattern and then transferred that to 1/4″ 6061 aluminum plate. The bandsaw is still broken, so it took the better part of three hours to cut, drill and smooth then out.
That finished, I started installing some of the engine electrics, the engine breather hose and rear brake fluid reservoir.
Amazingly, the 4.6 gallon tank clears everything on the first try, guess I got it all in the correct position!