Finally “pulled the trigger” on the pair of side panels DC Plastics sells. They’re listing for the earlier 604, so the mount points will have to be fudged slightly, but that’s no biggie. Not the greatest quality, but they’re better than the cracked, melted and scratched originals.
Called Keith at American Dirt Bike to place a parts order and asked what he’d recommend for a muffler. His answer was an FMF Q4 for a Yamaha WR450F, suitably modified to fit. So I started looking for one that I could afford – new they’re $300 – way out of my budget. I read on some forums where WR owners had just as good results as the FMF with the stock muffler fitted with a Yamaha GYT-R “Quiet Performance Muffler Insert”. A brief scan of eBay produced a nearly new ’09 WR muffler for $58 including shipping, so I bought it. Nice muffler – aluminum body, stainless end caps and pipe, all held together with stainless button-heads. It arrived in today’s mail:
I need to order the Quiet Performance Insert yet, found them on Amazon for around $48.
All of the stuff I ordered from ADB showed up today as well. A new VIN sticker to replace my mangled, illegible one; a new 15 tooth countershaft sprocket and four copper exhaust rings (two for the CCM). I had hoped to buy a new A-Track idler sprocket as well, but unfortunately they’re out of stock and Keith was unsure when (or even if) more will be made. 😦 Good thing I have two, but I really had hoped to find a second one of the newer type with two bearings. I guess the single bearing type on the bottom and the double bearing type on the top will have to do.
Way back, I bought a Dellorto PHBE 38 (for $10) for this project, but always worried that it would prove too large for the 504 engine. In Europe the MZ Saxon 500s came with a PHF 34, so I’ve been looking for one of those off and on for the last year. About a week ago I was surfing eBay and found just what I needed for $48 shipped. Looked close to new, but was missing the slide, needle, spring and top. Came with a remote “choke” actuator, a black plastic knob on the idle screw (never saw one of those before) and a black plastic air inlet. Perfect! I found a new-old-stock slide for $40 shipped, so just need to round up the other bits. It arrived the other day and I’ve already gave it a good cleaning, replaced all of the gaskets and o-rings, and rejetted it to MZ specs. Figured that would be a good place to start.
I have almost all of the parts now, just need the time to get more work done on it now.