Despite my best efforts to find another, there just doesn’t seem to be an airbox/battery box any better than the one I already have. Mine has perhaps two dozen non-original holes drilled into it. I really don’t understand what the objective was of the person who drilled them. The whole top of the airbox is open, an area approx. 4″ x 7″ – if that doesn’t flow enough air, adding a bunch of holes isn’t likely to help. Anyway, most if not all of them need to be closed up and there’s a large melted area from the exhaust being too close as well.
Test fitting the airbox
Couple of holes on the back to close up too.
It’s going to be quite a bit work to fix all of that. I explored the possibilities of a) making another out of fiberglass or b) making another out of aluminum. Either would take a considerable amount of time – maybe more than fixing the original.
I finally decided to buy a reasonably priced plastic repair kit from Urethane Supply. It’s basically a large soldering iron with a flat tip and some “welding” rods made of a plastic compatible with numerous types of plastic. It also comes with a stainless steel mesh “patch”.
Hopefully it’ll work well enough for me to fill the holes at least and maybe rebuild the melted area. If I can’t fill in the melted area, I’ll simply cover it with the “heat tile” material I got from Maier Plastics. It’s an aluminized outer covering over a fiberglass insulating material and an adhesive backing. Sticks very well to the polyethylene plastic the airbox is made out of.
Maier heat tile
The heat shield material goes on the airbox and side panels to keep them from being melted anyway.