The plastic welding kit I ordered arrived early this week and I made a little time this evening to give it a try. In short, it works exactly as advertised. Once the iron is up to operating temperature, it melts and flows the rod with ease. At first I tried holding the iron on the inside of the airbox and feeding the rod in through the hole to be filled. That wasn’t working too good, so I tried applying regular old clear packaging tape over the holes on the inside and then melting the rod into the hole from the outside. That worked great – I just melted the rod over the hole and then smoothed it out.
For the large melted hole I first applied rod around the hole, cut out a piece of the stainless mesh the right size, melted it into the previously applied rod and then covered it with more rod. The resulting surface isn’t smooth or textured like the original plastic, but it seems to be just as strong and flexible. If I wanted to, I could sand it to look better. A little trimming and the airbox will be ready to install.